Georgia School District Launches New Digital Learning Platform Ahead of 2021 School Year
The Toombs County School District, Ga., has launched a new digital learning platform ahead of the new school year. The school district partnered with Discovery Education to provide K-12 teachers and students access to a digital learning platform that provides access to resources in all subjects at home and in the classroom.
- SUNY Polytechnic Institute Turns to Online Bookstore to Lower Textbook Costs
SLGs, Utilities Win Big Cyber Funding in Infrastructure Bill
The much-anticipated $1 trillion Senate bipartisan infrastructure bill unveiled on August 1 shows big cybersecurity funding wins for state and local governments with a $1 billion for a cybersecurity grant program, and electric utilities that will be receiving $1.25 billion through a cybersecurity grant program to protect the electric grid.
Federal stimulus funding is helping K12 districts meet their visions for post-pandemic American education through reengaging students, closing gaps in equity and learning, and supporting students, teachers, and parents with flexible and personalized learning.
- NASCIO, PTI Chiefs Detail Cyber, Funding, Tech Issues for SLGs
- House Committee Approves K-12 Cyber, DHS Supply Chain Bills
NASCIO Issues Primer to Advance Business Relationship Management Initiative
The National Association of State Chief Information Officers (NASCIO) released a new primer to advance its business relationship management initiative. The Business Relationship Management and the New CIO Operating Model primer addresses how to develop mature vendor relationship management capabilities in state government.
- California Governor Signs $6 Billion Broadband Bill
- Beth Niblock Takes Over as HUD CIO
- Maryland Governor Announces Almost $30 Million in Broadband Awards
- Report: Ransomware Attacks Against Education Sector Spiked in 2020
- Fort Worth School District Turns to Parents, Students to Develop Technology Plan
- Houston Launches Cloud-Based 311 Platform to Improve Citizen Services
House Passes $500M State and Local Cybersecurity Improvement Act
The House of Representatives on July 20 voted to approve the State and Local Cybersecurity Improvement Act as part of a slate of cyber bills that passed under suspension of normal rules. The bill would create a $500 million-per-year grant program run by the Department of Homeland Security to help state and local governments improve their cybersecurity.
- Bicameral Legislation Introduced to Extend Program to Close Homework Gap
- Make Way for StateRAMP, Cloud Cyber Standards for SLGs
Raleigh, N.C. On Route to Serve Constituents Better Online
After the COVID-19 pandemic led to an uptick in demand for digital services, the city of Raleigh, N.C. responded with a series of IT service management transformation steps to better meet the needs of its constituents. Beth Stagner, the city’s Director of Enterprise Applications and Data, talked about the challenges and next steps in that transformation during a virtual webinar hosted by Government Technology on July 22.
- California State University Turning Tech Into Student Equity, Achievement